Friday, October 21, 2005

Finding What Works

I'm writing this post for a few friends that read this blog. This is my story of losing and winning at online poker.
When I first started playing online poker I approached it the way I do most things. I purchased several books on the games I wanted to be good at. I read these books and studied them. I started playing the free tables. I made my first deposit of a hundred bucks. I played way too tight. I tilted a little. I played a little aggressive. I bullied. I played 1/2. I played 5/10. I went bust. I made 500. I was constantly amazed every few weeks at what I had learned that I didn't know before. I won more than I ever have. I lost more than I ever have. I was all over the place. I played with no game plan except to have fun and hopefully win more than I lost.
Two years after beginning I decided to play "serious poker". I started tracking my results. I got the best piece of advice I have ever been given about poker. The chumpbuster himself said I should find one game and stick with that game until I learn to crush the competition. I quit jumping around so much and began to grind out a profit. I learned I could consitently win, but I missed the games I enjoyed more. I made a decision to use 25 percent of my profits to play multi table tourneys and 25 percent to buy things I want that I wouldn't buy without this money. The rest of the profits go to build the bankroll.
Good luck to everyone playing in the blogger tourney. See ya there.....