Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Strategy Question

I made it fairly deep in the Winner's Choice finishing in 22nd place out of 126. This is the first time I've played this tournament and I was fairly happy with my play. I only had one hand I would like to have back so I feel I did OK.
Stay with me on this folks, this may be a little out there but I want some real feedback on this. I've got a very specific thought in my head and I'm going to try my best to lay it out here where it makes sense.Some people like to play a large range of starting hands and some people play a small range; this of course changes by position and size of blinds etc.Some people always raise three times the big blind; some five times the big blind; and some like to vary their raise size.Now take those two criteria and put them on a graph, range of hands across the bottom from small/tight to large/loose and size of raises across the side from min/raise up to 5 times big blind. Assuming decent and consistent post-flop play, do you think that there is an even line of maximum success for each size of raises and each range of hands matched with their perfect counterpart or do you think there is a distinct winner?I'm talking about comparing them in an even way such as the same size field of multi-table tournaments. My opinion is the tighter the range with the larger the raise makes the money often but I'm not sure gets too deep and the wider range with the small raise probably makes it a little less but goes a little deeper when making it. The wide range with the large raises probably busts out a lot but makes more final tables than the others which can make up for a lot of bustouts. Opinions please..............