Monday, January 29, 2007

Folding a Big Pair Pre-Flop

In a tournament, there are times to play opposite of the way you would play at a cash table. Remember there is no reaching in to your wallet and re-buying. I'm not saying I would lay down aces very often, but if there are several loose cannons at your table and they all get in to a pre-flop raising war you should at least consider it. AA and KK are very strong starting hands, but if several players are raising and re-raising their chances of holding up go way down. I was in a single table tourney and got KK the first hand of the game. I re-raised a player who tripled the blinds to three times his bet only to have two more players call behind me. The original raiser then pushes all in when it comes back around to him. I know him and know he can and will make this play holding any pair or any two cards. What I failed to consider was that my call would potentially make it hard for the other two players to fold. We all four were all in and the player that called after I did hit his second pair on the river to beat me with a 5 7 unsuited. KK is typically a great starting hand but it's still just a pair. I'm not saying it won't usually win a race, but a four-way race is not a good proposition if you feel confident that your post flop play is at least as good as most players at your table. I fully expect that several of you will think I'm wrong about this and that any time you can get your chips in a four-way race with the best of it that you would love the opportunity to go for it. Looking back on this hand, I am confident that there is probably not a call if I fold and no one would have picked up much there. Please let me know what you think....