Tuesday, May 29, 2007

How Could I?

How could I feel like I have anything to feel bad about when someone so close to me doesn't have food at home.How could I feel self-pity when someone so close to me is so brave and got out of their comfort zone to try and make something of themselves, only to have the hands of fate throw an unbelievable string of unfortunate events in their face......yet they smile and remain positive...and hungry.How?All I can say is I have big-time respect for you sir. I know you don't have Internet....or a bed....or furniture.......or food. You will.
"It's OK" he said. "We get paid tomorrow. I'll be OK until then."
"Tomorrow is Thursday."

"Oh........"

My small struggles in life seem so small now and I feel so great to be losing weight and making new friends this year. I have a Grandson on the way and I'm so blessed. My focus this year is becoming crystal clear. I had fallen in to such a comfort zone in life, and it feels so good to be busting out of a rut.I won a trip for two to Maui a few years ago. It was an unbelievable experience. They gave us a list of activities to choose from. It was all paid for so money was no factor in your decisions. I started picking things like a free Corvette convertible for a day and shopping sprees and riding horses.....then I thought.....I could do any of that stuff in my home town. This is a chance to do things I have never done and not only that, things I would never ordinarily do. I started over and selected a catamaran trip, a helicopter tour, and snorkeling. Were these things a little scary? Of course they were, but I'm so glad I did every one of them. All three experiences contain memories that I will never forget....swimming with sea turtles, flying over volcanoes, sailing in the clear ocean with dolphins all around. Sometimes you have to face your fear head on. So many times when I was younger I ran from the things that I feared only to have them reappear in my new environment. I showed my wife the list of activities and had her try to guess which ones we were doing. She guessed all the ones I would normally select. I laughed and showed her the ones I picked.She said "You're kidding, why?"I didn't expect her to "get it" but she did and it was so awesome!!!If you want to see some cool pictures of a current trip to Hawaii check out Brian's blog.