Sunday, May 27, 2007

MTT Goal for 2007

To be a winning MTT player, you need to money at least 13% of the time. The higher over 13% you are the less you are probably winning, meaning you are staying tight and getting to the money a lot but not going deep from there very often. I like to be between 10 and 20 percent. I have ran as high as 30% on 100 tournaments, but I was spending a lot of time for small cash. I prefer to open up my game a little, and reduce my cashes to about 18%, where I give myself a better chance to make about 10 times the money I make at 30%. At 18% on Party, I cashed about 10 final tables out of 100 tournaments with an average buy-in of $22 for over $19,000 with only $2,200 invested so a profit of $16,800.
I am currently running 20/88 on Stars for 22.73% itm and 36/166 on Full Tilt for 21.69% itm. I think I'm about 3%-6% higher than I need to be. I have to find a few adjustments to get to some final tables and bring home some big $.
When I was playing Party, I was playing larger buy-ins than I currently play, but I made a conscious decision to play buy-ins that fit my bankroll so I can't step back up until I get a few big wins under my belt. The larger the buy-in the smaller percentage of donkeys you see, but it's similar enough and once you get past the first two hours there is little difference in play from a 5 dollar buy in to a larger buy in. I hope to get back to a $20 average buy-in this year. I'm going to stick to buy-ins that are 5% or less of my online roll. Right now I have about $300 total online between Stars and Tilt, so I'll be playing mostly 2 and 5 buck buy-in MTTs. The only exceptions right now are if I play a qualifier or two and win a buy-in to a larger tourney. If I can get my roll to over $500 I'll switch to 10 and 20 buck tournaments.
I was fortunate to get all my money off of Party before they shut it down to US players, and I did not put much on any other sites. My current goal is to take the small amount I have online and build it to $25,000 by the end of the year without depositing or withdrawing any. I will be taking you along for the ride good or bad.