Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Perspective

Here's a little perspective for you:
A friend of mine was playing a golf tournament with some friends. They go paired up with one of the teams that had a pretty well known golf pro.
After missing a few shots and breaking a club or two, a guy in their group threw his $600 driver in to a lake and let out a scream of anger.
The pro, Gary Player eased over next to the young fella and quietly said, "Son, you ain't good enough to get that mad."

You can judge the size of the person by the size of the things that anger them.

That sentence right there keeps me even keeled in my poker playing. The best thing you can do when you lose a hand, a tournament, or a session is review your play, improve what you see needs improving, and move on. It's all one big session and even a hand that's ahead 80% is going to lose 1 out of every 5 times. If you get all in 5 times with those odds you are probably going to lose one of those hands. Fate isn't always fair but odds will play out over time. If you keep focused on making good decisions, you can prevail.
I am as guilty as anyone of making bad decisions sometimes but the difference is how you conduct yourself and where you go from there.

I am very competitive when I play. I want to win every time. I play to win. I practice, I prepare, and I play hard. I don't enjoy losing at all but it happens sometimes even when you play your best.

Best of luck at the tables this week everyone!!!