Sunday, March 26, 2006

Competetive Toughness

I saw a commercial earlier today for the upcoming broadcast of a Tiger Woods interview conducted by Ed Bradley.
Ed Bradley: People have described you as competetive.
Tiger Woods: Yeah, it can be anything. You and I could be playing cards right now and I would want to kick your butt.
Ed Bradley: You mean you would want to win.
Tiger Woods: No. I would want to kick your butt.

That is competetive toughness. It's like watching some of these upsets this year in the NCAA tourney. You can see a big difference between the kids that want to win and the kids that want to kick butt.

There is nothing like playing in a poker tournament where the majority of the players want to not only win; they want to kick your butt. Different players are different in that setting. Some players get very quiet while others use communication as a part of their game (whether it be talking at the table or chatting online). I am somewhere between the two, usually staying fairly quiet but not completely silent.

In the HUC3 tourney today, I faced some tough competition. My first table featured TanOrpheus. He played well but I finally was able to advance. The other table had SoxLover against PokerSweetHome. I didn't get a chance to catch any of this match, but it was over fast and I think I saw someone mention pocket aces. When I got to the table with PokerSweetHome, I knew I was in for a fight. He took an early lead and I just tried not to get too many chips in without a decent hand. I changed gears several times and threw several different strategical moves at him but he heald fast. In the end, I just had to get lucky to beat him. Great match sir.

Good luck to anyone playing in the WPBT tourney tonight. I am 12th in the points race after the first game and hope to improve on that tonight.

Best of luck this week everyone!!!