Sunday, July 02, 2006

A little fiction is good for the soul

Windsurf Lexington was on the last day of a month long losing streak that had seen him drop nearly 40,000 dollars.......

I sit at a 2/5 no limit table going over this past week in my mind. How had variance taken such a nasty turn for the worse? I have had bad runs before but never anything like this. I never felt like I really tilted or got away from my game. It just seemed the magic was gone. The cards that had always fell favorably were on vacation, replaced by cards that had no emotions to comfort me.
So this is what it’s like to be a loser. No wonder some people hate this game. I’ve not played anything lower than 30/60 in five years and this is terrible. I’m surrounded by donkeys that are trying their best to give me their money, but I can’t get the cards that you must have to beat players that won’t fold.
I take a break and head to the restroom and outside for a quick smoke. A quick inventory tells me that I am actually playing with the last of my money. I’ve pawned everything I had to get in to this game and this is it. I’m going to go completely broke. I’ve never had to plan for this moment, as the last few years have been so lucrative I didn’t see the need; until now.
I guess I could get a real job, but what do I put on the application? I have never worked a job. I’ve played cards since college and I dropped out early because of the time I felt was being wasted that I could be at a table bringing in the groceries.
"Surf, what’s up man?" came the call from my long-time friend and fellow poker player Garrow Coxworth the 25th.
"I’m having a really bad month G. I’ve lost my entire roll and I’m looking at having to get a real job. It’s really depressing and I’m thinking of just calling it quits for good."
Garrow looked at me with the concern of a true friend. "Look bro, I’m not telling you what to do, but I’ve always felt you pushed it a little and should back off in limits to avoid a day like this. There’s nothing wrong with being a low limit grinder."
"I see your point G, I guess that’s exactly what I am now and you know what.....I’m completely happy with it."