Saturday, November 03, 2007

70.89%

70.89% is nowhere near enough odds to reraise all in against Kajagugu this month:

I made my way over to Kaja's last night for his monthly game. There were 17 players including BrainMc, Aposec72, and several other familiar faces. My starting table was a strange combination. There were a couple of calling stations that didn't like to fold at all, two or three tight players, a couple of tight aggressive players and one loose aggressive. The combination combined with my position at the table forced me in to a strange blend of play. I got in to a couple of hands and had no idea where I stood and had to fold. I then tightened up and doubled my dwindling stack a couple of times including calling an all in KJ with my KK.
I steadily climbed after the first break and when we combined to one table, I was in excellent shape. I stayed tight-aggressive as this was a fairly tough table.
I caught KK and AA and decided not to get fancy with either. I raised big both times and showed my cards just so there would be no doubt when I came in to a hand, I wasn't messing around.
When we were down to 5 players (4 make the money), Kaja had a pretty good chip lead with probably I'm guessing a little over 20,000 or so. I had about 12 to 14 thousand and a couple of the others having about 5,000-7,000 and one other player with a similar stack to mine. I'm sitting on the button and the blinds are about 600/1,200 with 100 ante when Kaja raises it to 5,000 under the gun. The player to my right is the player with the only other sizeable stack at the table folds. I look down and find AK unsuited. I announce all in and call his 5,000 and place another 8,000 or so in to the pot. The blinds fold and Kaja reluctantly calls me with a large part of his remaining stack. He states that this is probably a bad call and he flips up KQ suited hearts so he's correct; he's a 70.89% dog.
The flop brings a couple of small hearts and the turn is another heart to complete his flush. I have the ace of hearts but the miracle 4th heart doesn't hit and I'm out on the bubble.

They were going to play another tournament but I had to leave because I had to work the next morning. Thanks for having us over Kaja; fun times.

Update: Kurokitty asked in comments if a fold is warranted in this situation. I'm putting it out there to you, the readers. Is a fold a good idea in this situation?
I think it's an excellent question. Bear in mind it's the chip leader putting in the initial raise and I'm considering his range of raising hands to be Any pair, any two big cards, any suited connectors, and possibly a few more.