Thursday, October 25, 2007

2008 Aussie Millions Poker Championship Report

I've taken a lot of criticism about even being here but I don't consider it lucky. Sure I blew my entire bankroll on Full Tilt chasing a dream to play in the Aussie Millions but I have had the vision of being here for months now.
It all boiled down to the final Big Game. I got in with my last 24+2 token after going through my entire bankroll buying in to the other events. I shook off all the nervousness and pressure and prepared for the game.
The cards hit me early and I chipped up knocking out blogger after blogger and I found myself at the final table with 5 players left when this hand happened. I was dealt 7h 2s in the small blind. I had a slight chip lead and raised "the hammer" with an authoritive 4 times the blind bet. The next player min-raises me and EVERYONE at the table calls back around to me. I reluctantly call. The flop is Jc 10c 2c and we all check. The turn is the 2 of hearts and the small blind pushes all in with a small stack. We all call. The river is the last 2 in the deck and I push all in with my Hammer Quads. AA, KK, set of jacks all call and the small blind shows his flopped ace high flush first. My Hammer Quad is reavealed and the chat box goes out of control.
It was a miracle hand of poker and I was in the Tournament of Champions.
The Tournament of Champions was the toughest blogger tourney field I have ever faced. The pace of the game changed at lightning speed with each orbit. I stayed relatively tight during the craziest moments and made it to the final table with a little less than average stack.
We fought for what seemed like the entire night and before the sun came up I was qualified for the Aussie Millions and had just enough time to shower and go in to work.

Arriving in Australia, Mrs. Surf hugged my neck and told me that this was the trip of a lifetime no matter how I did in the tournament. I looked her deeply in the eyes and knew she meant it. I never thought I would be in Australia and this past week has been like a dream come true.
The tournament has went very well and I'm heading in to the final day and the final table with the chip lead and a guarantee of being able to help my parents retire in comfort.

To all of my friends and family reading this, I thank each and every one of you for supporting me and I can't wait to see you all. Becoming and being a member of the poker blogging community has been fantastic and I wish you all could be here with me today and I hope someday you all get to experience what it feels like to final table the Aussie Millions!!!