Sunday, February 12, 2006

Metamorphosis

When I began playing my main goal in tournaments was to make it to the money. I started out playing very tight and would get deep but usually barely made the money or more frequently went out on the bubble. Every once in a while the cards would hit me hard and I would go deep in a tourney, but it was rare.
Then I ran in to someone on Party that played completely opposite of my style; seemingly complete reckless abandon. Notice I said seemingly reckless, for what I was seeing was not what it appeared to be. There was purpose and strategy behind every move. What a great persona....appearing to be an idiot and yet sucking out time and again and becoming a gigantic stack constantly. We hit it off right away and became online poker friends. I would cheer them on, they would cheer me on and we would chat about each other's style of play. I have to say I think I got the better end of the deal because all I could teach was how not to get knocked out.
Well, my friend hit a huge payday and it was awesome. I couldn't have been prouder for them. They were on top of the world and they played all the high limit online games they had been wanting to play.
Then a sad thing happened. I talked to my friend and they told me they wouldn't be around for a while. I don't know if they lost all the money playing or if something personal happened but they were gone. I miss them.
OK, so back to the story. When I was talking to them and learning more about my game I began to meet in the middle between their style and mine and found almost a perfect harmony with my game. I made a few final tables in multis and took down some very nice prizes.
Then I started focusing on the limit tables and got good enough to constantly grind out a profit, so my focus was completely off of multis. When I went back to multis I had reverted back to my old style and didn't know what was wrong. I talked to Matt a few nights ago and he said a few things that made light bulbs go off in my head. I remembered some things I had quit doing and he pointed out a few more that I hadn't been doing. I've put them all together and made a great run the last few days.
I've made it to the money 5 of the last 7 multis I have played and won the last two qualifiers that I have played; and 4 of the 5 times I have had a much larger stack than I have averaged having. I'm back in harmony with my game and it's GREAT!!!!!!!
I miss you G..... I hope you are well...........surf